

Levy to Move Seattle Oversight Committee Meeting

[Levy Oversight Committee bylaws – adopted April 2017](#)

[Move Seattle Levy legislation, approved June 29, 2015](#)

Date/Time: Tuesday, June 1, 2021 / 5:00 – 7:00 PM

Co-chairs: Rachel Ben-Shmuel, Samuel Ferrara

Location: Video Conference

Members present on the phone: Ron Posthuma, Rachel Ben-Shmuel, Joseph Laubach, Samuel Ferrara, Patrick Taylor, Vicky Clarke, Inga Manskopf, Jen Malley-Crawford, Jennifer Lehman, - Dennis Gathard, Kevin Werner, Hester Serebrin, Councilmember (CM) Alex Pedersen

Members Absent: Ben Noble (City Budget Office), Lisa Bogardus

Guests: Chris Gregorich, Kris Castleman, Kristen Simpson, Maria Koengeter, Katie Olsen, Matt Gemberling, Joe Markovich, Nolan Rundquist, Eric Tweit, Brian Sperry (all SDOT), Elliot Helmbrecht (Mayor's Office), Aaron Blumenthal (City Budget Office), Ryan Packer (The Urbanist), Jeff Lundstrom, Jeff Stelling, D Sekar

MEETING CALL TO ORDER: 5:07 PM

Welcome and roll call

Sam F: Conducted a roll call for committee members and an overview of the agenda. Chris Gregorich introduced City staff.

Public Comment:

Sam F: Asked if anyone wanted to give public comment.

Jeff Stelling: I live in District 2 and I am here in regard to the Neighborhood Street Fund (NSF). Our project #2019-160 is located at 38th Ave S at Andover and Dakota. Two roundabouts were approved initially. Then the SDOT team changed the scope and design and the new design does not solve the problem of our NSF submission to have cars safely cross 38th Ave S. We have had no success trying to work with SDOT staff. The project is supposed to be built in 2021 and we are in a desperate situation. The new design is not a good use of levy funds. We have sent a letter to Rachel McCaffrey but she is out.

Chris G: Jeff, please forward the letter to me.

Agenda item #1: Update on Madison Bus Rapid Transit (BRT) project

Eric T: Provide an [update on the Madison Bus Rapid Transit project](#). The project limits extend from 1st Ave to Martin Luther King Jr. Way. The project includes transit stops, pedestrian access

and safety improvements, new pavement, bicycle connections, and utility improvements for Seattle City Light and Seattle Public Utilities (SPU). Stops will have real time arrival signs and signals will include transit priority features. This will be the Rapid Ride G Line and service will be operated by King County Metro. There will be off board fare payment and raised platforms for more efficient loading and unloading. The total project budget is \$133.4M. We anticipate construction starting in late September 2021 and taking 2.5 years to complete.

Ron P: Are the water and sewer improvements fully covered by City Light and SPU.

Eric T: Yes

Ron P: The FTA asked for additional contingency. Where did that come from?

Eric T: Sound Transit increased their contribution to cover that contingency.

Ron P: If the project comes in at a lower cost, does Sound Transit will reap some of the savings?

Eric T: That's correct.

Joe L: Does this project include bicycle lanes? Does the bicycle master plan identify this corridor as deserving a bicycle facility?

Eric T: We identified parallel bike facilities as preferred due the limited right of way on Madison St. The Union protected bike lane is an example of a parallel bike facility. Also, there is extension of bike lanes that is part of the project.

Patrick T: How does the Central Ridge Phase 2 bicycle project interface with Madison St?

Eric T: The project includes a new signal on Madison.

Sam F: What was SPU's input on the schedule?

Eric T: The schedule we have was prepared by our design team. SPU's engineers have reviewed our schedule. Ultimately, the contractor will develop a detailed schedule.

Patrick T: Can you talk about pedestrian improvements?

Eric T: Yes, we have new pedestrian signals planned for 10th Ave and 18th Ave. At 12th and 24th there are design improvements to enhance pedestrian access. Also, we will be adding or upgrading many curb ramps. We are not widening any sidewalks on Madison. There are a couple places we have had to widen the road to make room for the center transit lane. In those areas we will be cutting into the sidewalk.

Rachel B: Are we adding street trees?

Eric T: Yes, we will be replacing trees with a 2 to 1 ratio but not all replaced trees will be in the corridor.

Rachel B: You might consider taking trees to underserved areas.

Eric T: That's a good point and we'll look into that.

Agenda item #2: Urban Forestry program update

Joe M.: Provided an update on the Urban Forestry program. Urban forestry manages street trees and landscape areas and supports property owner requests on planting related work. We

have a Landscape Architects Office that develop design standards, provides design guidance to project teams, and conducts plan reviews and construction inspections. There's over 40,000 street trees that SDOT maintains. In addition, we do emergency response and irrigation maintenance. The Move Seattle Levy added \$5.4M in street tree maintenance funding over the 9 year period. We have three 3 person tree crews. Also, we have a 9-year Street Tree Management Plan that is based on 27 geographic areas divided along district and U.S. census tract lines.

Patrick T: You mentioned that you prioritize based on equity. When you plant in the Rainier Valley area are you trying to plant equally in each area or do you focus on where tree cover is lacking?

Joe M: We look to add trees in underserved areas and places with lower canopy. Finding planting space can be a challenge, especially in industrial areas. So, we do prioritize areas with planting strips.

Rachel B: It seems like trees removed from the Madison BRT project should go to underserved areas.

Joe M: It's a goal of ours to prioritize underserved areas.

Rachel B: Where are the opportunities to plant more in underserved areas?

Nolan R: South Park is an area where we planted trees in 2016 as well as the last few years. A focus for Move Seattle has been replacing trees that have been in poor health or lost over the years.

Sam F: Is there a metric or goal of what the tree canopy coverage could be one day in disadvantaged areas?

Nolan R: There are more city maintained trees than privately maintained trees in disadvantaged areas. And there are more city sponsored trees in the disadvantaged areas.

Sam F: What is the biggest barrier to filling in the canopy?

Nolan R: Funding is part of the issue. Having the ability to reach out to the community and providing the service that the neighborhoods desire is also challenging.

Rachel B: It's important to get buy in from communities. I'd like to see more information on this.

Kristen S: I think it make sense to come back. We can bring our capital project folks and talk about the factors that go into tree planting, both on capital projects as well as through the urban forestry programs.

Agenda item #3: Levy Portfolio Update

Elliot H: Provided an update on the Levy Portfolio and highlighted where we have been with the pandemic and the COVID budget impacts. We have started developing a draft set of principles of success, are looking at how have we done so far in the levy, and what changes we may want to make for the remaining levy years. Matt and Brian are talking to levy program owners about possible work plan adjustments and are exploring finance options. I want to share our draft

principles of success and get your feedback. These principles include equitable, strategic, and targeted investments to prioritize funds to meet our workplan goals.

Elliot H: What questions do you have about the draft principles of success?

Jen M-C: Can you explain your choice of words instead of focus on those underserved communities?

Elliot H: I can go back to the SDOT staff that suggested that language and see if there is other language that could be used.

Vicky C: How are these values going to be used? To prioritize projects? I like the values but it seems like it's a bit of everything. I don't have concerns about transferring funding from programs exceeding their goals to programs that are not on track to meet their goals.

Elliot H: If we heard from you that the 2018 Workplan goals are the main priority then SDOT would focus on that and bring you a set of choices. We would use these priorities to take steps along the way.

Inga M: I like these principles and they are aligned with what voters approved and this framework will help to monitor the rest of the current levy. My main concern is that the wording is vague. Are there any metrics involved?

Elliot H: I can talk to the team and see if we can be more specific. If we can make it clearer, I'd like to do that and run it by you.

Sam F: I agree with the other members points. I think on the whole you have heard what the committee has been saying all along.

Joe L: I appreciate that you are tracking both the 2015 and 2018 deliverable goals.

Jennifer L: I have a concern about giving blanket consent with transferring funding from programs exceeding their goals to programs that are not on track to meet their goals.

Kevin W: How would you reconcile conflicts between principles?

Elliot H: This is why we have laid out the principles. If we have two principles competing against each, we will look at benefits and issues and present a recommendation based on what we know.

Agenda item #4: Committee business

Subcommittee and modal boards reports - Inga Manskopf

Jen M-C: We had two topics, the Transit Plus Multimodal Corridors (TPMC) program update by Maria Koengeter. And we had a Draft Transit Lane Policy overview. We are writing a Route 40 TPMC letter in support of Route 40.

Jennifer L: We talked about the Vision Zero strategy for the city and how to overcome roadblocks. We also discussed the New Sidewalk program's Racial Equity Assessment and how well the city is meeting racial equity with pedestrian investments. But this work won't be done in time for the 2021 Pedestrian Master Plan Update.

Patrick T: The main issue we heard about was the Vision Zero program update by Allison Schwartz from SDOT. Also, we had an update on the Duwamish Valley Mobility Study. We'll be discussing the West Marginal Way Bike Lane in the future.

Vicky C: The finance committee didn't meet.

Rachel B: I would like to have the Vision Zero presentation as well.

Sam F: I would like to hear it too.

Vicky C: How are we going to address the public comment?

Sam F: Jeff said he was going to send his letter to Chris G at SDOT so I think we should read his letter first.

Kristen S: Chris and I will follow up on that.

Meeting minutes for approval (April 2, 2021 and May 4, 2021) – Rachel Ben-Shmuel, Sam Ferrara

Rachel B: I have a comment on the April 6 minutes. Page 3 is incomplete.

Chris G: I'll follow up on that.

Sam F: I move that we approve the May 4 minutes.

Rachel B: Seconded the motion.

Sam F: The May 4 minutes are approved.

Adjourn: 6:55 PM

Action items

Action items below capture tasks from previous meetings. Completed items will remain on action item tracker for one additional set of meeting minutes to capture "complete" status and will then be removed.

Action item	Meeting	Lead	Status	Deadline
Look into the language "to minimize harm" used in the draft principles of success	June 1, 2021	Elliot H		
Follow up on public comment about NSF project #2019-160	June 1, 2021	Kristen S, Chris G		
Revise April 6 Minutes page 3	June 1, 2021	Chris G		