Filing a police complaint

How to file a police complaint

If you would like to file a complaint about a Seattle Police Department (SPD) employee, the Office of Police Accountability (OPA) is the primary agency that investigates individual police misconduct complaints. You can access their complaint form here.

Filing a complaint with OIG

OIG looks at SPD systems for areas that need improvement. OIG also investigates complaints of misconduct when a conflict of interest prevents OPA from doing so.

Please note that when submitting a complaint to OIG, OIG may forward your complaint to an agency that can better handle your concern, unless you request otherwise. In all cases, OIG will follow up with you regarding the handling of your complaint.

The OIG complaint form can be downloaded here. Please be aware that Washington State has very broad public disclosure laws that require City agencies to disclose many documents. You may contact OIG without providing your name.

For general questions or comments, or if you have questions about how to file a complaint, here are various ways to contact OIG. Someone will attempt to contact you within two business days (excluding weekends and holidays):

  1. Email:
  2. Main office number: 206-684-3663. 
  3. Send a message using the Web form below.

We welcome your comments.

Please leave this blank
Please do not change this field