Maintenance Hole Access

What should I do before entering a maintenance hole?

  • For emergency access or to report damage to a Seattle Public Utilities (SPU) pipe, call SPU’s 24/7 Operations Response Center at (206) 386-1800.
  • For non-emergency access to survey, clean or inspect a sewer or drainage line, contractors are required to notify SPU before entering the maintenance hole.
  • Complete and submit the Request to Enter a Maintenance Hole (pdf) form before conducting any drilling, grouting or concrete construction that may impact SPU pipes.
  • After you submit the completed form to, an SPU representative will contact you within 2 business days to provide you the necessary approval and permission to access the maintenance hole.